Friday, May 25, 2007

Food Friday


I get alot of those plastic flower pots!!!! Here is one of them that I painted some time ago...fun!
Now...on to FOOD.....I am making pork tenderloin for the weekend.....and the two following recipes...one is for a fresh green bean salad with feta cheese (I love fresh green beans)...and I'm going to make this Mexican corn on the cob that sounds delicious to me....(something different)...I'll also make the traditional potato salad (Andy's favorite)....along with some bbq hamburgers...What is everyone else planning on making for this UNOFFICIAL BEGINNING OF SUMMER MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND ????????????
Green Bean and Feta Salad
"Sweet onion, fresh green beans, feta cheese, garlic and several vinegars mingle in this piquant salad."
1 sweet onion, peeled
1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 Tablespoon white sugar
3/4 teas. salt
black pepper
1 dash hot sauce
1 dash Worcestershire sauce
4 oz. feta cheese crumbled
Thinly slice the onion and place into a colander over the sink. Add the cleaned green beans to a large pot of boiling water and boil until crisp-tender (about 4 minutes). When the beans are done, drain the water into the colander to slightly cook the onions. Immediately rinse all in cold water to stop the cooking process.
For the dressing: In a large bowl, whisk together the garlic, rice wine vinegar, cider vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, pepper, hot sauce, and W sauce. Add the beans, onions and cheese and stir until combined. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Enjoy!
************************************************
Mexican Corn on the Cob (Elote)
"As served by street vendors in Mexico. Grilled ears of fresh corn are spread with mayo and sprinkled with grated cotija cheese.
4 ears corn, shucked
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup grated cotija cheese
4 wedges lime (optional)
Grill corn until hot and lightly charred all over, 7 to 10 minutes, depending on the temp. of the grill. Roll the ears in melted butter, then spread evenly with mayo. Sprinkle with cotija cheese and serve with lime wedge.
***********************
This sounds really yummy to me....I'm looking forward to trying this one. I think the 'cotija' cheese is similar to our 'cottage cheese'....I'll look in some of the Mexican markets today...
Andy is off today for a very lonnnnng Memorial Day Weekend....we will be puttering around the house (putting up the pool)....having bbg's....and enjoying ourselves.....
I'd also like to wish my Dear cousin.....Maryellen...a very special day! (today is her birthday)!!!!!!!! (hope you get your package Sweetie...have a good one)! I love ya!

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Sheila said...

Hi Vicci,
your recipes sound great, enjoy..!
Enjoy your BBQ's too, and get that pool up, you will be skinny dipping soon!
Have a fabulous Memorial Day weekend, sweetie, I will be thinking of you..!
Hugs
xx

12:45 PM  
Blogger Mary Timme said...

We are having shish-ka-bobs, cauliflower salad, various kinds of chips and guac dip with some other veggies too, then seriously homemade lemon meragunge (spelling was never my forte!) pie and blueberry pie with vanilla bean ice cream. You stuff sound seriously good too, so I might just come there! ;-) Yum-O!

3:14 PM  
Blogger Wanda said...

OK, should I go to Vicci's or Mary's for dinner...they both sound wonderful....!!!
Have a great and safe weekend.

XOOXOXOXOXOX

8:02 PM  
Blogger skinnylittleblonde said...

What a beautiful pot...you never, ever cease to amaze me Vicci!
Your recipes sound so very yummy delicious good! Please let us know how the corn turns out, but the green beans and feta cheese literally made my mouth water!
Happy Birthday to your Cousin Mary Ellen!

8:06 PM  
Blogger Gill said...

Hey Vicci!!!!
Well, my husband is going to love you, because this weekend I am going to make that bean salad. He is a feta whore!!! NO joke. ;D
I am printing off the recipes as I type....
xo
Blue
(Enjoy your long weekend, I hope you get some Vicci time!)

6:09 PM  
Blogger Angela Marie said...

Your Green Bean and Feta Salad sounds yum yum! I will try that one.
The mexican looks interesting. I have never seen or heard of it before.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Angela Marie said...

Ha! Ha! I am laughing out loud literally!

I meant the Mexican Corn!

I am still running on fumes after this week. (giggle)

8:05 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Yummy,,,I espiecally want to try that mexican corn,,let me know if you found that cheese and if its like cottage cheese. I sure wish I was there and hanging in the pool with ya(I want a POOL)
Luv Ya,,

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License