Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A Day at the Iris Garden and Channel 10 News



As you can see...we made the trip to Fairplay California yesterday to see all the beautiful Iris at Bluebird Haven Iris Garden. They have 2900+ varieties of Iris. The colors (I didn't realize Iris had so many colors).....are absolutely beautiful....this is a Victorian show garden in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. An acre of landscaped iris, daffodils, wildflowers, and shrubs and trees. They have a large Victorian gazebo, arbors, park benches, wandering paths for viewing the irises and selecting your favorites, and picnic tables. All the iris are in PEAK bloom now...and it really is breathtaking....as you wander up and down through the paths you keep a little pad and pencil with you to mark down your favorite irises name and number..names such as "Dutch Chocolate"....."Lilac Light"......"Golden Sunshine"....all of the iris bulbs are for sale (from 3.00 to 6.00 per bulb)...they dig them up in July and August and send them to you...if you place an order.
Andy and I had a great day....I packed us a picnic lunch...we sat among the flowers at one of the picnic tables and enjoyed ourselves....
Another thing happened also......I was meandering down one of the paths...taking photos of all the flowers...Andy mentioned something to me about ( "Vic...you need the camera that is behind you")...I said "what?".....and turned around...there standing just a few feet behind me was Tom Whitiker from KCRA Channel 10 News...one of the BIG news stations out of Sacramento. We started talking....one thing lead to another...and all of a sudden he says to me "May I interview you?"......."Wha"??????? "yeah....sure". (Oh God!) So......after I got all hooked up with microphone wire under my t-shirt...and a little box clipped to the pocket of my jeans, another clipped to the neck of my t-shirt..off we go walking among the iris...he stands back adjusting his huge outrageous looking camera and just starts asking me questions...he says to me ....okay...watch the 5 or 6 o-clock news tonight....Andy and I shake his hand...and move on....(by the way..he was a really nice down to earth guy)..
SO.........GUESS WHAT??????????? Tom was not kidding!!!!!! I was on the 6-oclock channel 10 news last night....!!!!!!!! (talking about my day at the iris garden)......

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Wanda said...

Vicci: Why didn't you call me....I would have loved to see you on TV.
How exciting......can I have your autograph?

By the way...the iris are beautiful too.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Suzie Ridler said...

Woohoo! That is just the coolest Vicci, way to go! What exactly did he ask you about?

I love the photos too BTW! Bearded irises are stunning.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

WOW! Ok Wanda already said it....I was going to ask for your autograph! heehee. How fun and exciting. Were you able to tape it at least. I wonder if there is a way to watch it on a website! He chose you because he just KNEW he'd found a sweet, charming, down to earth person to walk and talk with!!
Iris are SO beautiful!
XOXO
Love,
Lisa

5:32 PM  
Blogger Mary Bee said...

Vic: This is just toooooo cute. You know I don't have TV, but I sure wish I could have seen you smile at the camera and have your moment of fame. Fun Fun fun...

The iris garden looks fabulous. I remember the iris gardens up where Apple Hill is now. Do they still have the iris garden up there still?

5:36 PM  
Blogger sandy said...

That would have been fun to see you on TV!! The iris pictures are beautiful!!. You're a Star...shining star, la de da la de da....de bop bop do daaa...

forgive my flimsy effort at singing to you..

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vicci.......that is so cool. Wish i could have seen it. The pics are gorgeous :o)

9:47 PM  
Blogger Angela Marie said...

Uh I missed it! I would have loved to have seen that!

Now the Irises are just beautiful! The colors blending into one another are just breath taking!

Yes Vicci.. I would love Fairplay!

6:28 AM  
Blogger skinnylittleblonde said...

Lol...
the beginning of you 15 minutes of fame!

9:08 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

OMG!!! Your a famous Iris fan now!!! The Iris were awesome, lucky you to have such a lovely place to visit. You will have to take me there if I ever get to visit you. And how exciting to be interviewed for the news,, does the station have a website and would the clip be on it?
xoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxo

2:58 PM  
Blogger Giggles said...

Oh man I wonder if it will be on youtube or on the station archives.. You need to get a copy for your blog....Email the guy and ask him if you can post it!!! I want to see it.....the pictures are amazing. That is one of the best things to do in the spring, have a picnic amongst those beautiful flowers!

Hugs Sherrie.. going to look for the clip!

12:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can see the video under the "Featured Video" link on the www.news10.net website. Your photos are beautiful, and you are all right...Tom is very cute!

11:37 PM  
Blogger Betsyanne (E Sheppard) said...

I love all your photos. I used the flower one (with an attribution link, or course) on my latest The Moon and the Willow Tree blog. Keep on doing great artwork and taking great photos!

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License