Thursday, May 18, 2006

Stars

Alone in the night
On a dark hill
With pines around me
Spicy and still,

And a heaven full of stars
Over my head,
White and topaz
And misty red;

Myriads with beating
Hearts of fire
That aeons
Cannot vex or tire;

Up the dome of heaven
Like a great hill,
I watch them marching
Stately and still,
And I know that I
Am honored to be
Witness
Of so much majesty.

Sarah Teasdale

This poem reminds me of being here where I live...on top of a hill surrounded by pines. It reminds me of the time we took the old couch and set it out in the driveway in front of the house...just so we could lay on it in the dark, and watch the "Star Showers"....
It reminds me of a hot Summer evening...putting an old mattress out in the yard, and falling asleep while watching the stars dance magic in the night sky.....
We woke up to the doggies licking our faces in the morning.
Don't you just LOVE when you remember your moments of complete utter bliss?

8 Comments:

Blogger Rambling said...

I enjoy the Sarah Teasdale Poem thanks for posting it... Your comments make a poem also - lovely

7:47 AM  
Blogger AscenderRisesAbove said...

Spicy Stars... what a great combination of words

7:58 AM  
Blogger jenclair said...

I remember my brother and I lying on a quilt outside and having my Dad point out the constellations. Laddie was not many years away from his role as navigator during the war and had to know them for navigating. Nice memories... and I'm sure most people share similar ones, but we can't express what the poet does.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Annie Jeffries said...

Your memory is the poem come to life, making the poem AND the memory all the more sweet.

8:48 AM  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

oh i love the connection of your memories and what this poem invited you to think about...

Sarah Teasdale...yes, i need to read more of her words.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Jim Brock said...

Wonderful, especially to think of cool and brilliant nights in Northern California when one is in hot and humid and light-polluted South Florida.

Thanks.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

I remember nights out on the desert when I was a kid, sleeping under the stars with the dog.... great memories!
Thanks!

11:33 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Another great poem. I love Poetry Thursday! Thanks for visiting me.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License