Wednesday, June 27, 2007

WILDFIRE


This photo that I found on the web sums it all up....DEVASTATION.....Early yesterday afternoon around 1:45pm the winds flared up....embers flew...and the fire jumped the fire line...2000 more people have been evacuated....Firefighters are working like mad to get this fire under control before the winds kick up again today.
This fire has my heart sick.....I am so fortunate to live in the foothills...on top of a mountain surrounded by forest.....I don't take it for granted. I also KNOW how very very important it is to keep defensible space around your home....I also realize in some cases that there is nothing anyone can do once a wildfire gets out of control and starts crowning in trees....These poor people didn't stand a chance with the intensity of this fire. Forest Officials still believe it was caused by humans.....but have not determined yet if it was arson or accidental...they are leaning towards 'accidental' with the cause possibly being a cigarette. I am praying for all the people at Lake Tahoe who lost their homes.......I am praying they get a handle on this fire today....and last but not least..I am THANKFUL that NO LIVES have been lost! "THINGS" can always be replaced..."PEOPLE" CAN NOT !!!!!!

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

This fire is so sad and the winds will be strong this week. Many prayes for the wildlife and people who lost their homes. HUGS


We have the same taste in shoes, cakes, waterfalls and cabins. :)

Flowers are stunning!

10:52 AM  
Blogger Wanda said...

Oh Vicci that photo says it all! I have been so saddened too. My prayers are with anyone and everyone invloved in this tragedy!

1:19 PM  
Blogger Mary Bee said...

I have stood on the top of Angora Peak and looked out over this area. It is one of the most spectacular areas. I will email you a picture of it if you want to post it. Assuming of course, I can find it.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Gill said...

Whoa! That is devastating. I am glad you are okay where you are Vicci.
xo

8:01 PM  
Blogger Kim Carney said...

that is a very powerful image of devastation

11:12 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

I heard they might have this fire contained very soon....let's hope that happens. I fear that CA will have a very active fire summer due to the dryness of everything. It's scary.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Sheila said...

This is tragic Vicci. I saw a woman interviewed last night in front of the pile of ash that had been her home. My heart went out to her. I'm glad no one is hurt, and that you and your family are safe.
hugs
xx

1:11 PM  
Blogger Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I love Tahoe so much and it
s heart breaking to see the destruction this fire has caused.

XOXO
Love,
Lisa

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License