Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Flowers.....Smoke.......



Good Morning........I finally found some time to post something on the blog! The weekend (once again) went by in a blur....running errands....yard work....lots of cooking! I made 12 more jars of apricot-pineapple jam.....I also made a 23 lb. turkey with all the trimmings for Dad's birthday... dinner. Lots of left-overs for this week...yum!
The smoke from the Lake Tahoe wild fire was so BAD yesterday....I had a horrible headache from it.... The fire called the "Angora Fire" started on Sunday afternoon.... quickly destroyed a total of 240 homes..the winds were so bad, the conditions so dry...plus lots of dead trees which created lots of fuel for the raging out of control blaze...people barely had time to get out...I feel so sorry for all the people who lost everything in the fire. Lake Tahoe is one of the most beautiful places on earth...it is a HUGE recreational area... since living only an hour away, Andy and I have spent a great deal of time there...my youngest sister lived there for many many years...it makes my heart sick to think of the devastation this wildfire has caused...as of this morning they are saying it is 40% contained. They still don't know how it started...but believe that it was "sparked" by humans.......Will people EVER..EVER...LEARN ???!!!!!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Sheila said...

I love the mums in your photos Vicci, especially the spider mums..!
Glad you had a good weekend, and your Dad's birthday was celebrated in style. I hope he had a good time..!
I saw news of the fires on TV last night and immediately thought of you...xx
Fires scare me, and that these could have been caused by humans is inexcusable..!
love ya'

Sheila
xo

8:05 AM  
Blogger Gill said...

I hope your headache goes away...what is wrong with people? Who would delibrately start a fire? No brains.
Anyhoo, your flower photos are so beautiful.
Turkey? I will definately find time to come visit this year. Maybe Mum and I will zip out in the fall for a weekend....?

8:35 AM  
Blogger Suzie Ridler said...

It's crazy isn't it Vicci? It amazes me how many people lose their homes thanks to people's stupidity. Our summers are bone dry here too and when we were on our mountain we lived in chronic fear over fires. One year it did happen but they water bombed it in time!

Beautiful pictures Vicci, I hope you headaches goes away very soon.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

It's so dry down here that any little spark could set off a fire just like that. I think we've had even less rain than you've had. People just aren't careful enough and then others end up getting hurt. I just don't understand it. Fire is one of the things that terrifies me.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Mary Timme said...

Oh Vicci, How beautiful everything looks. Sounds like the birthday party was well fed! Beautiful flowers!

2:13 PM  
Blogger Wanda said...

Vicci: After receiving you email I was in Raley's and was told 8 employees of the Tahoe Raleys have lost their homes in the fire!! This so saddens me....Let's pray for that fire to be controlled!!!

3:12 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Lovely pictures Girlie!!! I have been watching the news about the Tahoe fire, so sorry that you have had to suffer the effects of it. I don't know if humans will ever learn not to start fires when the timber and woods are so dry, sad!
Hang in there Girlie!!!
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License