Friday, December 29, 2006

Grateful Happy Things for Friday


I am all messed up on the days....I then realized it is Friday!!! So here is the "Happy Things" list for today.....
nature walks
hot chocolate at an outdoor cafe
buying a hat, gloves, and boots
recipes from old books
the dignified face of a woman well into her 80s
the sound a yawning dog emits when he opens his mouth too wide
tall candles
knowing where all your books are
Speaking of books...the photo at the top is of a very very old book that I found at the library yesterday....I love old books...I love to open them up...and smell the old musty odor of the pages...this book was published in 1869...and the copyright is 1880...
The author of this little gem is a girl named Elizabeth Prentiss...she was only 16 years old. There is a Publisher's Note on one of the pages that reads; "Stepping Heavenward" was first published in book form in 1869, and at once attracted wide attention. No less than five different houses republished it in England. It has been translated into French, German, Norwegian, and Swedish languages. More than 75,000 copies have been sold in the United States. There is still a constant demand for the book in this country....the present edition, complete in every respect, is issued in response to these requests.
BOOKS...BOOKS....BOOKS....never seem to get enough books!
watching the rain fall
reaching out to people
spending the weekend alone with the cat
secret doors
railroad stations
That should do it for this friday......the last Friday in the year 2006!!!!!!!

8 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

That book is fabulous! When you say you got it at the library do you mean you bought it or checked it out? I find books for sale at my library but never anything like that!
I always enjoy your Friday lists. They always make me smile.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Gill said...

I agree with Janet...100%
and you are right about books. They are such a treat!
I am now finding time to enjoy mine that you sent me. Thanks for such a wonderful Christmas treat Vicci.
Sending New Years love and hugs.
xo
Oh!
and keep posting those cookie recipes...!

3:59 PM  
Blogger Sheila said...

I so enjoy your lists Vicci, probably because they could be written by me. I love that book...
it looks so well loved. What is it about..?
I just read Blue's comment...we seem to be on the same trail tonight..! and I second that. I have finally had time to look properly at my books, and I must say you 'know' me well..they both have 'my name' on them..Thanks again..xx

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it possible? The last Friday of 2006? Already? Where did the year go?

Your lists are always such a treat--reminders to seek pleasure in the simple things around us...like books, old and new, and friends, old and new.

Wishing you a 2007 filled with love, happy times, and dreams fulfilled!

6:39 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I Love old books too. I always buy them when I can find them. Loved the happy list.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooooh Secret Doors -- yes!!! Great list :)

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every time I read one of your lists, I am awed by the evocative poetry of the everyday stuff of life and inspired to look at the bits and pieces of my own life with a more loving eye. I hope in 2007 you'll continue noticing the "Happy Things" in life and calling our attention to them. Thank you.

PS - My favorite moon is the waxing gibbous. What a wonderful moon to end 2006 with :-)

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Dan Abra said...

I do love old books and there value.
I did not know some of them are worth more than gold. Plus the knowledge you get from reading. I created a website to dedicate these precious finds.

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License