Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Deep Fried Asparagus


This past Friday...Saturday.... and Sunday...Stockton, California held it's yearly Asparagus Festival.....they make all kinds of yummy asparagus dishes (burritos....pasta...tri-tip with asparagus sandwich) just to name a few....but the most popular dish by far is the Deep Fried Asparagus..... I heard on the news that they made 43,000 batches of these !!! We didn't go to the festival...but I made a batch of deep fried asparagus here at home....it turned out absolutely delicious...the recipe is the very same one that Stockton's festival is famous for...so grab a few bunches of this green Spring veggie ( which actually belongs to the Lily family)...a few simple ingrediants...and fry up some...it's well worth it if you enjoy asparagus !!!!! Yummy!
Stockton's Deep Fried Asparagus
1 1/2 lbs. asparagus ( cleaned and trimmed)
1/3 cup cold flat beer
1 egg white
6 T. flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teas. baking powder, salt and pepper
1/4 teas. baking soda
Heat 1 inch oil in skillet ( peanut or canola works best).... over med. high heat. Whisk together all the ingrediants in a large deep pan (I doubled the recipe). Dip asparagus in the batter until well coated, and fry 2 mins. or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle parmesan cheese over it...I also made a Ranch dip to dip into....this is soooooooo delish! Enjoy! Oh ...I forgot....an ice-cold bottle of beer with it just tops it off.....

4 Comments:

Blogger Suzie Ridler said...

I adore deep fried mushrooms, I can just imagine how good asparagus could be deep fried! Genius! I can't bring myself to deep fry foods, I just can't do it but if I ever find a place that has that on the menu I'm going for it. Way to be adventurous in the kitchen!

3:56 PM  
Blogger skinnylittleblonde said...

never had such a treat!
Sounds Delicious!

10:43 PM  
Blogger ChrisJ said...

Oh yummy!!Asparagus is my favorite vegetable. I've never had it deep fried, but since I love fried zucchini I'm sure I'd like asparagus deep fried. However, I DO like my asparagus to be soft when cooked. So often in fancy restaurants they always serve it hard. I know it's culinarily (good word!) correct to serve vegetables under cooked but I like mine soft and that includes zucchini.

11:53 PM  
Blogger Sheila said...

This looks so good. I love asparagus, so I'm sure I would like this.
xx

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License