Sunday, April 15, 2007

Sunday's Slump


Good Sunday Morning.....
The sun is shining this morning...after an extremely wet Saturday.....everything got a good soaking! These weekends just seem to fly by so fast....Friday night Andy and I went to Ty's softball game....yesterday we ran some errands..grocery store...thrift store...and a stop at the pizza place (so I got a break from cooking)...the rest of the day I just puttered around the house...doing laundry...cleaning some shelves....making cupcakes....watering plants...enjoying the fire in the fireplace...sitting on the porch and listening to the rain....but there is SOMETHING ON MY MIND.........
I am experiencing a CREATIVE slump!!!! and it's really bugging me! This has happened to me before...but it usually only lasts a day or two...this has been going on for over a week...I think to myself that I'm going to do this...and that...and have all these great ideas..then I walk into the studio and just stand there and stare at everything, and end up doing nothing...I can't stand it! Yesterday at the thrift store I spent 20.00 on a box full of old vintage lace...material...ribbon...doilies etc. for some fabric projects that I've had in the back of my mind for months ...last night I sat and went through the box...folding everything....looking at it...thinking about all the wonderful uses for it all, and that's it...thats as far as I got!
I start to think OMG! what if something has happened to my brain..what if I've lost it....what if NOTHING happens, and I no longer want to be creative...or no longer have creative thoughts.....I start to PANIC!!!!!! At first I blamed it on the weather...that it's Spring and all the flowers are budding and blooming...the weather is warm...too much else to do..and that I just need to be outside..but NOW....it's really starting to bother me!
Andy is calling me to breakfast.....I HOPE something happens today in the creativity department...we shall see......

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Don't worry Vicci you are way too talented for a long break. We got a tease of spring then Bam...winter's back. HUGS

10:47 AM  
Blogger Joyce said...

I'm sure after a few days off your muse will return. Sometimes we just need a bit of a rest and then suddenly we are inspired again.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Sheila said...

You have been creating flat out since Christmas Vicci. Enjoy a little break, and you will soon be back at it.
Hugs

xxxx

11:53 AM  
Blogger Suzie Ridler said...

You probably went through a longer-than-usual creative phase so now you will have to rest longer than usual too. Don't force it, that's the worst! Try another form of creative activity, perhaps that will help.

I'd love to hear about the cupcakes! But then I'm a baking freak.

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds perfectly normal to me. The body/mind does demand a break now and then. Do something totally different that is not creative. It is what your brain is demanding. It has shut off your juices. So respect it and do something totally different. Something outside of your daily routine. I find that always works. Maybe not for you, but sharing my approach to artistic slump. Also slumps are a good time to weed out supplies and organize. Why? Because you will let go of a tad more and actually find yourself making progress.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Giggles said...

Vicci you are singing my song girl….I hit the one year mark and it was like my creative juices dried up! I couldn’t think of anything to write or draw! I missed poetry Thursday and Sundays scribblings. Not even a prompt worked. Then Lisa gave me that thinking blogger award…and it was like a new incentive or something…I was shocked because there hadn’t been much substance in my blog for a while.

Change things up, like the last commenter said, it does seem to help. I have too many ideas, and not enough time. I wonder if we just need the break to get the everyday chores done…Good luck with that. I find ideas spawn from reading other blogs too….which I had also been behind on! Check out Remiman in my links….reading his one post was like your twenty year photo challenge. That was very inspirational! It’s rolled into a few ideas too!
Thanks for the inspiration….and no you are not going crazy….it’s just a lull!

Anyway take care!
Peace Giggles

5:14 PM  
Blogger Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

My dear, dear Vicci....this is quite normal. I've fretted over this many times..even done the very same thing of standing in the studio and nothing happens. I've tidied up, I've sorted and I've had ideas but it's as if there is an internal struggle between thinking and doing. Having said that things eventually start happening, albeit slow but they do. You on the other hand have been cranking the art out fast and furious...this isn't a true slump my friend...it's just a breather. Your focus has been on the art of the outdoors right now...just bask in it and all will be well. It WILL!
We had that rain yesterday too and then suddenly...it stopped.
Much love and light,
Lisa
XOXO

7:33 PM  
Blogger Jacob said...

Dude! Get your butt down to the Riverbank Cheese Festival, STAT! Or maybe wait until they have it. Yeah, that would be better. I found that going to shows sparked my lulls. I talked to other potters and saw some different stuff and that helped. Also, you could go to a workshop. Nothing like a good workshop to get the juices flowing. Slumps are good. Be in it, Vic. It will teach you the next step.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Izabella Blue said...

I am going through it right now too...standing in my studio just staring~ I know it will pass~

I read inspiring art books when I feel like this~

xo ~Bella

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License