Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Mr. and Mrs.Nencini

I have never seen anything like this before. I know that in the old South they would at one time decorate bottles with people's personal items...but, I have never seen it done on a grave. This is Mr. and Mrs. Nencini ....their graves tell the story of their lives....
Mr. Nencini was probably an electrician and a farmer....there are all kinds of farm tools....he probably liked to "weld" things.....he might have had cattle or sheep at one time....and he liked all things having to do with electricity...He was a hard-workin man....he loved his wife....and his children and his Grandchildren adored him.
Mrs. Nencini might have been a school teacher or worked at the local one room schoolhouse...she loved to cook and bake...(especially cookies) for her grandchildren...she liked to sew and knit...and took great pride in her flower and vegetable gardens...Both Mr. and Mrs. liked to go to the local dances ,and Mrs. Nencini would pin up her long hair....wear a piece of her favorite jewelry, and put a dab of her favorite perfume behind her ears...Her children and grandchildren adored her....in fact...she loved children and all the neighbor's kids liked to stop by for a yummy cookie fresh baked from her kitchen....
This is just one of the reasons why I love old cemeteries...what wonderful stories they tell! The oldness of them...the weathered leaning stones that date as far back as 150 years. They tell of women dying in childbirth...couples growing old together...many children who never got the chance to grow up...young men taken too soon by war......all the hardships of "our lives"......in some way, for me...it is a way to pay my respects to those that have gone before us...the future is made up of the stories people tell.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vicci this is so interesting. I have seen it befor while Geo-Caching but never did it paint the picture you have here, awesome! I bet you have come real close to what life must have been like for them. Thanks for being such a neat person! I love who you are.

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

in all my wanderings, and hauntings, I have never seen such a beautiful tribute, to who lies beneath. Thank you for sharing, for what Mr and Mrs Nencini meant to their world, their family, their moment in time, should not be lost or confined...This is beautiful.

6:20 PM  
Blogger becca said...

Vic, isn't it awesome at what one can find at an old cemetery? As Button said, we have seen some wild things while out geocaching, and the cemetaries are one of our favorites to find a cache at. People don't do things like that anymore, but as you have said so well, the stories they tell about who they were and how they helped to shape other lives. Thanks for sharing.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

I grew up by a cementery, it has had the feel of a mystery novel, a real page turner...your post(s) have me glued as well. I havenever seen something like this grave either!!

1:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vicci...this is so fascinating. I have never seen anything like it...just wonderful.

5:29 AM  
Blogger skinnylittleblonde said...

How awesome was that for you to find & share!
It looks like they permanently concreted alot of those artifacts in.
Amazing & in this case, a picture tells a thousand stories!

6:07 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Ok,,I love this! I hope someone puts ATCs, glue, scissors, papers, rocks, flowers, spades,,etc,, on my grave!! Wouldn't that be cool? I do love the story you told,,and I bet anything that is really what they were like!!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Marina of Printable Expressions said...

Wow...I love how you painted that picture of who they were. I remember walking in an old cemetery when I was about 12. Although I've always been a little afraid of death, I can remember feeling an unusual calm reading the stones and seeing that people visit and bring items and flowers to pay there respects. I also remember somehow feeling what their life must have been like depending on the age of when they passed. You made the Nencini's come alive...Awesome!

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License