Wednesday, August 16, 2006

A Love Affair with Books.....

I love many things in this life...my greatest passion is ART...I am one of the lucky ones that was born with this passion. Another great passion of mine...is BOOKS!!!! Books...Books....Books...I am crazy about them! I have them everywhere....piled high in stacks in the bedroom (never enough shelves)....piled high in stacks in the hallway...three deep on the bookshelves I do have... tons of cookbooks in the kitchen....books in the living room...I NEVER can get enough books! I always say to myself that I will finish every single one of them before I leave this earth. I love old books...new books...big books...little books...on every subject...it doesn't matter...I love anything or any place having to do with books...libraries...used or new book stores...other people's books...books I get as gifts...one of my favorite things in life is to discover a "new" book...one that you know you are going to love before you even open it...one that grabs you from the very first page...one that keeps you awake at night...one that you reach for from your nightstand first thing in the morning..this is the kind of book that I'm reading right now...I discovered this book in a little gift shop in Camino...which is a tiny little town up the road from where I live...in the very back of the shop there is a small (I mean small) room that is crammed with books...wonderful books! and CHEAP! I found a beautiful Andrew Wyeth art book there last week (coffee table size) for seven dollars.
I also found this book..I had never heard of this book before...but it was one of those books that reached out and said "You have to have me"....

I am almost finished reading it now...looking forward to seeing how it will end...and... sad at the same time because I will be done with it. It is a wonderful book...that's why I am sharing it with you...my blogging pals...I know you will LOVE it!

"When we read we may not only be kings and live in castles, but, what is far better, we may transport ourselves to the mountains or the seashore, and visit the most beautiful parts of the earth, without fatigue, inconvenience, or expense". John Lubbock

***************************************

A small breakfast-room adjoined the drawing-room. I slipped in there. It contained a bookcase; I soon possessed myself of a volume, taking care that it should be one stored with pictures. I mounted into the window-seat: gathering up my feet, I sat cross-legged, like a Turk; and, having drawn the red moreen curtain nearly closed, I was shrined in double retirement.

Folds of scarlet drapery shut in my view to the right hand ; to the left were the clear panes of glass, protecting, but not separating me from the dear November day. At intervals, while turning over the leaves of my book, I studied the aspect of that winter afternoon. Afar, it offered a pale blank of mist and cloud; near a scene of wet lawn and storm-beat shrub, with ceaseless rain sweeping away wildly before a long and lamentable blast. Charlotte Bronte...Jane Eyre.

3 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

I knew you were a gal after my own heart!! I cannot pass up a book! My hubby knows this about me and tolerates all my stacks (I have them, too!) Thanks for letting me know about this book....sounds like something I would enjoy. I'll look for it.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Mary Bee said...

Well, now you can go on line to Ebay, or Amazon Used and see what else Dodie Smith has written. You probably already have huh? Some people its shoes, some it is cook books, others it is old LP records, me it is movies, for you it is BOOKs. I remember that hall. LOL

6:22 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Yes,,,I am and have always been a book lover,,and always reading when I am not doing art! That looks like a excellent book,,going to try to find it. If you ever find a book by this name "Come walk amoung the stars" by Winston O. Abbott,,definetly get it,,it is something you will cherish too. I will try to scan some of the illustrations and the words in it. I found an autograph copy at the thrift store,,its kind of old, 1966,,but it just awesome! Love your ATCs you did,,I made a few tonite,,and will try to post but it might be tomorrow. Have a wonderful evening and great day tomorrow, Girly!
Hugs

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License