Thursday, March 23, 2006

The Old Homestead

This was my Grandmother's house...this particular picture was taken in the 30's...it went through many changes over the years..Gram had beautiful flowers everywhere...lots of walnut trees in the orchard...our family would drive out here every Sunday for dinner...it was a great place for us kids to roam around..lots of acerage so we could run to our hearts content...Gram and Grandpa had a horse..a dog...lots of wild cats..and at one time sheep...they were ranchers..they grew walnuts...and my Grandpa Earl also owned his own logging company for awhile...we all loved it at Gram's....I can still see her standing on the back porch at the old stove stirring a big pot of jam from the berries she picked in the back yard...My Grandmother was a school teacher..I use to LOVE looking at all her books...she was also a wonderful seamstress...she could sew ANYTHING! I miss this old place....some years back Andy and I took my parents for a drive to see it...and of course it had all changed...different people living in it...it was heartbreaking to me....I remember just bursting into tears...It really isn't very far from where we live...but I can't stand to see it now...I just always want to keep that memory of "How it use to be".....in fact....the whole area is changed...now instead of quaint old farmhouses it has become one of the finest grape growing regions in ElDorado County..lots of wineies..and plenty of tourists...I'll ALWAYS have my memories...that will never change.

3 Comments:

Blogger Annie Jeffries said...

Love the old pictures you have been posting, V. I have truck loads of this stuff. Must start scanning and preserving.

4:57 PM  
Blogger GreenishLady said...

What wonderful memories. It can be sad to go back, to see changes, but it is wonderful that you are able to hold the images, memories and feelings from that time and portray them so well.

1:52 AM  
Blogger Lauri said...

What a great house! My grandparents lived on a farm...and although I want to go back and see what it's like now...20 years later...I do know it's all going to be different, so I never go.

Funny thing is, when we went back to Houston last week and walked into my mom's house, I actually stopped in my tracks! She was making dinner, just like my grandma always was, and it smelled EXACTLY like my grandma's house! I told her that, and I hope she understood what I meant and took it in a good way! lol!

5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License